Monday, February 17, 2014

Week 78 - 2005

Hey family,

My address is 6 poniente y 6 Sur...I think. Honestly, no one in this state knows their address, and the streets aren´t marked. Some houses have numbers but most don´t - if they do have them they aren´t sequential. But anyway, it's a green house by a basketball court.

So I´ve got some news today. 

First: transfers. My compy and I are staying!!! yes! Best companionship ever. We are just tearing it up here and loving every minute of it.

Second: Release day. Well hopefully you will take this as happy news. My mission president talked with the mission department and they asked him to stop extending our missions. So... I´ll be going home on August 5th. I´m a bit disappointed, but mostly happy. It will be good to get back to school and such. 

Third: If you´ve noticed the title of the email is 2005. Why?, you ask. I will tell you. Yesterday morning I was reading a conference talk from President Monson given in 2006 called How Firm a Foundation (if you haven´t picked up on this yet, I am addicted to conference editions of the Ensign. I have one from 1981, one from 1992, 2001, 2003, and two for every year since 2006 :)) Anyway, he mentioned President Hinckley´s 2005 challenge to all the members of the church to read the Book of Mormon before years end. Then I realized that I accepted that challenge! On December 31, 2005 I finished the Book of Mormon for the first time. I prayed and asked God if it was true, and I got my response. That day has affected everyday of my life since then. 2005 was the year I gained a testimony of the Book of Mormon, of the Prophet Joseph Smith (that was the year we did the musical as well), and of the church. I have been so blessed for following the prophet. 7 years later the prophet sent me a mission call - the blessings have been beyond my imagination. Follow the prophet, he knows the way. I am grateful for living prophets. 

Mom - Haha I would kill a man for some legit Lumber City BBQ. I´ve had enough tortillas - they´ve lost their allure. Dad said you slayed your talk (I imagine thim saying it in this Randy Jackson voice.) It's definitely important to be patient with yourself and others. Discipleship is indeed difficult. Sorry for the short email. I´m short on time today.

Dad - How´s PVB? I miss mowing the lawn and eating cheeseburgers. ha. Any exciting news from the Olympics? Hoping the curling team is doing well :) 

How cool is that?  A Unisource bucket!
1.  What is one thing you like about transfers?
      Leaving Tapachula haha. jk. umm, It's always an exciting time. You get to know new missionaries and meet up with old friends. 

My Generation from the MTC
2.  Describe the smells where you are right now.
     Right now there is nothing too notable. You smell a good amount of burning plastic as you walk down the streets though, and exhaust too.

3.  What is your address?
       (See above)

4.  Did you  know that G&G Powell got a Vette?  It is always good to have a new Vette in the family.
     No, thats awesome. Send me some pictures!

5.  Tell us a true story about something good that happened yesterday.
    haha, true stories aren´t nearly as exciting. Just kidding yestday was fantastic. We had 3 confirmations in sacrament meeting. (In the baptismal service my comp and I sang Come Thou Fount. It was awesome!) Other than that things were pretty normal. I talked to some drunk guys on the street, taught some lessons, walked and walked and walked and walked, etc. 

Ceci and Daniela

Darwin
6.  Now that it is the middle of winter, what is the cold season like in your area?
     It's starting to get hot again. In January it would get down to about 45 at night. I was loving it. But things have returned to usual. I´m sweating right now...

7.  What aspect of the Mexican Culture do you appreciate?
      They are truly friendly people. With a few exceptions people respect us and listen to us - even if they aren´t interested. They will give you all the food you can eat, even if that means that they don´t eat. They are good people.

My Favorite Possession
8.  I think I asked this before, but it has been a while ago, and maybe you have additional perspectives:  Was Karl Pilkington correct when he observed that the people in Mexico just do whatever they want to do?  Remember, that was one of the things he liked about Mexico.
     That is so true. Wanna eat pure sugar - do it. Wanna burn a tire in the street - go for it. wanna take a nap on the sidewalk - you got it. haha. 

9.  Tell us what happened at the last Missionary Meeting you attended (defined as more than 3 missionaries in one place)? 
    We had 2 this week. One with the mission pres, and a zone conference. We talked about obedience, goals, and 3rd Nephi 12:48 - Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect. President wants us to stop making excuses and start living up to the Lord's expectations. It was really good.

10.  What did you learn this week?
     So much. The most impressive thing was what I explained earlier about following the prophets. Just do it. 

Thanks for you emails I love you. 

Elder Roth

No comments:

Post a Comment