Monday, January 6, 2014

Week 72 - I Live a Charmed Life

Hi!
 
The computer I`m on right now is really terrible, so I hope you don´t mind that this will be a short letter.  I hope you enjoyed your New Year´s celebrations.  My New Years was exceptionally dull haha.  The streets of downtown Tapachula were utterly deserted, we walked a solid 10 miles only to teach two lessons.  But that's how it goes sometimes, no worries.  Ya just gotta sing ´´pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked, and walked...´´ until your companion gets mad - that always spices things up haha.  just kidding.  I try not to bother my companion too much :)  Speaking of my companion, he won´t be my companion tomorrow.   "Why?" you ask. Because I got transferred!  Woo! I´ll be heading but up to Tuxtla tomorrow. I`ll be in a branch called Ocozocoautla. (don´t worry I can hardly pronounce it either.)  

The Road from Tapachula to Ocozocoautla

I´m super excited.  These last 7 months in Central have been good to me, but I´m ready for new challenges.  My companion humorously described the work here like the book of Exodus - lots of plagues, lots of blood and sacrifices, lots of walking, hard to understand, and full of miracles. I think that is the best description of missionary work I´ve heard.
 
Anyway.  Hope all is going well back in the land of my forefathers.  Enjoy your last semester Roy and Andee!  I´ll get on to answering your letters.
 
Dad - I´m so glad you are finally back in PVB.  Due to my computer's follies I can´t read your email as I write so I´ll do my best to remember what you asked me.  I hope you don´t fall asleep on your conference call again!  haha. How did the college football season end?  

4.  What are some of the tougher questions that are asked by investigators?

Umm, I can´t think of any really hard questions any investigators have asked me.  One of the only ones that really required a knowledge of the scriptures was related to 1 Nephi 4. "Why is God telling Nephi to kill Laban if he said thou shalt not kill?"  But that one is not too tough.  Open to any page in the books of Moses, Joshua or Judges and you´ve got your evidences that it has always been so.  To be honest I don´t remember the other questions, and this computer is really frustrating.  Sorry. Love you dad have a fantastic week. 
 
Mom - I hope the roofers don´t bug you too much.  I´m glad to hear that you had a good week in the temple.  I miss the temple - after these two years I won´t be leaving it again.  Thank you for your prayers.  30 minutes on the importance of scripture study eh?  It won´t be hard for you to fill the time, the trick is figuring out how to explain it in so little time.  On the title page of my Book of Mormon I have written several quotes that highlight the importance of scripture study. such as (paraphrasing): ´´no member of this church who has not read the Book of Mormon prayerfully can stand before God and be approved of him.´´ (Joseph Fielding Smith), ´´it's not the book that's on trial - its readers are.´´ (Spencer W. Kimball), President Benson has several quotes "there is a power in the Book of Mormon that will be begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book", and of course the classic quote from Marion G Romney (I think...) I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness. (it's a long quote buts it's fantastic.)  Now as for personal insights: I have too many to write.  President Packer spoke on its importance last conference.  All I know is that those books open a communion with God that is beyond value.  The scriptures will tell you what to do with your life, what to avoid, and they will give you the faith to do it.  No priesthood leader, teacher, auxiliary president, missionary, or member can expect the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost unless they treasure up in their hearts the words of eternal life.
 
Andee - I would do anything to be in that weather for a day haha.  I wish you and Roy the best in your last semester at BYU.  I´ll be missing you guys next year.  I love you guys!
 
Well dearest family, I hope you have a fantastic week.  Next week I´ll be writing you from Ocozocoautla!
 
Love, me,
 
Elder Roth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment