Friday, September 28, 2012

Week 6 ¡Hola!



Life is good as always here in the MTC.  The weeks seem to go by faster and faster; I can't believe its already P-day again.  I don't have a ton to report - things are pretty much the same.  

One of the cooler things that happened this week was a lesson Elder Scott and I had with an Investigator named Carlos Garcia. (He is a TRC investigator, which means he just playing a role, but he is still a normal person from the outside world.  He may or may not be a member.)  Anyway, we were teaching him the Plan of Salvation and he was absolutely ecstatic to hear about the Pre-mortal life. He kept saying "esa cambia todo" - this changes everything. He talked about how he always had the view that we were here to see if we would go to heaven or hell.  "But you're saying that we lived with God before and we are really just trying to go back home". I can't really explain everything he said - we spent about 20 minutes just talking about the PME (pre-mortal existence), but I can tell you that he was teaching us, not the other way around. He definitely changed the way I will teach the Plan of Salvation for the rest of my mission. The truth is that that truth we consider fairly simple, or at least that we understand well at some superficial level, is absolutely mind blowing. And if we are not astonished every time we study it or teach it, we aren't doing it right.
Its always good to hear that my clothes and watch are traveling the world while I have been within the same 3 acres for 7 weeks straight haha. Any news on the status of the Jerusalem trip?  (Wendy - Mikele is studying at the BYU Jerusalem Center this semester.  I told Clark that his shirt and watch showed up in Mikele's pictures from Turkey!  Here's a link to her blog if you'd like to take a peek: tiptoeing through the tulips  Look for the white watch and grey and BRIGHT orange striped shirt on Wednesday 9/19!!)  

The Isaiah chapters are tough, especially in Spanish!  The chapter you mentioned (Isaiah 6 or 2 Nephi 16) is my favorite one as well.  That's exciting about Amanda, I hope all goes well there.  
So a short little scripture from this week. In Spanish 2 Nephi 32:3 is translated as - "Delight in the words of Christ" rather than "Feast."  I just thought that added a cool way to look at it.  Reading the scriptures should be a delight, and if its not we should change the way we do it until it is.  Also, we've learned the importance of having our investigators meditate upon the scriptures. They are much more likely to receive a testimony and be converted if they truly ponder the message.  I have been doing that as well, and it has made a big difference.  So I would encourage you to spend a bit more time thinking about what is being taught and if this sounds like something that could be anything less than the world of God.  I promise it will help you.
Umm, oh yeah! I have 2 big pieces of news about my Spanish.  The first is that I can officially roll my 'R's (and I do it a ton now.  I always introduce myself, "Me llamo Elder Rrrrrrrrrroth" haha).  And the second is perhaps even more exciting - I dreamed in Spanish last night for the first time ever.  So things are coming along, slowly but surely.
Also, how is the Spanish learning going?  I would really recommend it - its kinda hard but really fun too.
Thanks for the mail, the prayers, the letters, the examples, and everything you have done for me. I think you would be proud to see how hard I work everyday and how much I love my job.
Well I'm outta time.
Para siempre Dios este con Vos,  (Wendy: translation - God be with you)
Elder Clark Roth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment