Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 50 - I'm Running Out Of Clever Titles

Heyo!

This week was pretty awesome.  Unfortunately I forgot my camera again, sorry about that.  My companion is totally awesome, I love him.  We are really getting things going here in Central.  We taught an awesome lesson yesterday to a young man named Arón.  He has all the lessons, understands everything well, and finally has the permission from his father to be baptized.  But he is a bit hesitant.  We´ve taught him a couple times about the need for exact obedience in the exact moment, but there is still something that bothers him. So this time we just went in there and bore our testimonies of the vital need to be baptized and promised blessings.  The spirit was so intense.  Then we said,´´Arón the spirit is here, ¿can you feel it? You could see a physical change in him, and he asked, ¿you guys feel it too?  Then we testified,´´everything we teach is true. You are ready.  Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized? ...yes.  WOHOO!  He´ll be taking a swim this weekend!

Dad - I call dibs on mowing the grass when I get home, I miss the smell of fresh cut grass.  We´ve been without a Bishop for about 4 months.  The first and second consejeros conduct, which makes no sense.  But who knows.

1. What have you learned by learning to speak another language?
- Learning to speak Spanish has been a great experience.  I´ve learned a ton. First you learn humility, and fast.  From there its just a matter of never giving up.  It really helps me personally in some of my deficiencies in communication skills haha.  I´ve learned to ask for help, to not be afraid of messing up, and just talk to people about anything.  Its been really cool.

2.  As you walk down the street and look at signs and businesses, can you read and understand everything?
- I don´t struggle at all with grammar or understanding, what I´m working on is building a bigger vocabulary and my accent.  My companion has given me some nice compliments and he´s really helping me to speak like a Mexican.  I love it! 

I am sitting on the sofa in my bedroom.  Do you have a sofa in your bedroom?
- I certainly do not have a sofa in my room, nor a chair.  I study sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.  (seriously!) ha.  Wow, I was wondering when Josh finished his mission.  I can honestly say I am not jealous of him at all.  I don´t ever want to finish my mission.  His advice is my advice for all the other missionaries that I know.  In missionary work there is no substitute for work.  Just keep working. 

3.  How did your Seminary experience prepare you for your mission and how does it serve you and others now?
- Seminary has certainly benefited me out here.  The scriptural knowledge is useful, and the memories are wonderful.  Most of all though, its the conversion that takes place as a high school student wakes up at 5 am everyday to study the scriptures.  Consistency is the key.  

4.  Do you still have your bucket, or do you leave it when you move and get a different one when you get to your new place?
- haha I love all the bucket based questions.  The buckets stay in the house when you go.  Only a selfish missionary would steal another mans bucket.

5.  When you prepare your own meal, what do you make?
- I hardly spend any time cooking.  When I make myself a little 10 o'clock snack its usually tuna salad, or an apple and peanut butter.  For breakfast I usually eat cereal with yogurt and a peanut butter sandwich. 

D&C 121 - 123 are so intense!  I´m glad you are enjoying them.  Thanks for the email and the prayers, and the million other things you give me.  You remain in my prayers as well.  I remember Roy asking for your conversion story during his mission.  You wouldn´t by chance have a copy, would you?  Love you Dad.  Thanks for everything.

Mom - There is no shortage of humidity, but we do indeed lack the air conditioning.  Instead of the windows being covered with condensation its my body that's covered in sweat when I wake up.  But that freezing cold shower is always a nice/horrific way to cool off.  I´m doing super great!  I´m way less tired this week than I was last week.  I am healthy and just doing great! 

In terms of interesting wildlife there isn´t a ton.  We have iguanas by our house and the other day I killed 5 cockroaches in the shower, but that's about it.  The mission is a strange cross of extremely demanding and difficult, and really easy.  Perhaps easy isn´t the right word, simple.  All I do is wake up and do as much good as I can until I go to bed.  I read a talk by Elder Perry the other week.  I´m not sure how the title would be translated.  Perhaps, Be It Done With Simplicity.  Its about just doing the basic things and letting the rest go.  Dieter Uchtdorf's Of Things That Matter Most is good too.  I live with almost no stress.  Its awesome!  I hope I can keep it that way.

Well thanks for the mail, its always a treat to come and read.  Oh, I almost forgot.

Carly - I would be truly amazed if you are still reading these.  haha.  But anyway.  We have a new sister in our district named Hermana Zúñiga that looks exactly like you!  The only difference is that she isn´t taller than me haha.  I´m convinced that you share ancestors.  Hope things are going well back in Florida.  Have a fantastic week!

ok.  um.  oh! 1 more interesting story.  Yesterday my companion and I were walking to a lesson and saw a dude running towards us.  We didn´t really think much of it until we saw a police officer hop out of a speeding taxi and chase him.  The guy slipped when he tried to turn a corner and pretty much gave up.  The police officer ran up and kicked him in the throat as hard as he could, and knocked the guy out.  It was soo crazy. I will never run from a Mexican policeman.

PS.  If you ever feel the need to let out a bit of anger, Amanda - consider becoming a Mexican police officer.  ha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment