Saturday, December 28, 2013

Week 70 - Merry Christmas!

Hello dearest family,

I hope you are all doing well.  I am.  This week was good, but nothing too exciting to report.  I guess we´ll have a better chat on Wednesday.  How´s Christmas in Norcross?  Any chances of snow?  I see it as unlikely here in Tapachula seeing as it's still 85ish everyday.  I remember Roy saying that he never became fluent in celsius - nor am I.  Apparently it's easier to learn a second language than a second temperature scale. 

I´m looking forward to this Wednesday.  We have a baptism tonight at 6pm so that's a pretty good Christmas present for me.  I´m happy.  Hope my fellow Jax Beach missionaries are doing well. 

Dad - I´m happy that the Norcross project is going fairly well.  I´m still not sure about my skype arrangements, but I´ll figure it out soon.  I´ll probably do it from the chapel like last time (yep, the same chapel haha)  Comprendo. ha.  I want to go to Williamson Bros!! ha.

1.  What voice is your inner dialogue?
      - The voice of the late, great Bruce R. McConkie.  haha just kidding.  That would be sweet though.  I guess it's my normal voice - except when I read conference talks then I try to think of them I use the voice of whoever gave the talk. 

2.  What percent of time do you think in English vs. Spanish?
       - It depends. During the day it's almost always Spanish.  I study my scriptures mostly in English though, so in the morning it's English.  And when I sleep its German.

3.  How does the Christmas season impact Missionary work?
     - Well.  It's a bit tough because a lot of people go on vacation so the attendance and number of lessons taught tends to drop a bit.  But at the same time there are different opportunities to meet new people.  So it all works out.

4.  Does it seem like Christmas, since it is so hot and sweaty?
     - No. Christmas in the mission isn´t very Christmasy. ' But its all good.
 
5.  Do you drink a lot of water?  Bottles or bags?
     - a ton. mostly cups from 5 gallon jugs.  The people that sell water in the street sell it in bags, but I hardly ever buy it.  It's kinda spendy. 

6.  If you drank the tap water, how long would it be until you had an emergency?
     - I´ve done it once, but the deed was preceeded by a very fervent prayer. I was on exchanges and we didn´t have any water, and it was nighttime and I thought I was going to die.  I´m not really sure how bad the tap water is.  I only know that it comes out orangish.  haha.

7.  Have you noticed that the Brethren seem to be promoting using videos in lessons and talks?
     - I have. Its cool right? :)

8.  How often do you use videos in lessons?
     - Not very often.  A lot of people don´t have DVD players. (actually most of them do but they lost the remote control so you can only watch the videos in English).  Probably about once a week. 

9.  Not a question:  Tell us about a recent lesson or investigator.
     - have I told you about Mary yet?  She has been an investigator for a while.  When we first taught her we would extend the normal invitations to read, pray and go to church but she rejected them all.   ha. But we felt that we shouldn´t give up on her.  So we kept teaching and teaching.  After a little while she started to read.  A bit later she started to pray.  And finally we got her to go to church.  She´s progressing quite a bit now.  Hopefully things will continue upwards with her.

10.  Did you get any packages?
    - not yet

11.  Why did your Mission President take your iPod?
     - honestly it's incomprehensible to me.  He took everyone´s iPod but says that we can burn cds to listen to.  I don´t really see the difference, but I don´t worry about it too much.

12.  Did your hair ever grow back from that terrible haircut you shared with us?
     - after 2 long, painful months. I´ve cut it two more times since then actually.

13.  How often do you shave?
     - everyday. mission rules.

14.  How hard is it to follow the Mission Rules with exactitude?
     - no. it's easy.  All you have to do is decide to be obedient.  There is a cool quote by president George Albert Smith in which he says, There is a line of demarcation well defined between the Lord’s territory and the devil’s territory. If you will stay on the Lord’s side of the line you will be under his influence and will have no desire to do wrong; but if you cross to the devil’s side of that line one inch you are in the tempter’s power and if he is successful, you will not be able to think or even reason properly because you will have lost the Spirit of the Lord.”  It's true.  Obedient missionaries are hardly even tempted to disobey.

Love you dad! 

Mom - haha your take on Roy's shenanigans is  always funny.  ha.  Count your blessings.  We don´t have any choir at all, nor special musical numbers.  It's a bit of a bummer.  Based solely on the fact that I have no idea who Julie Andrews is, (and the fact that Carrie Underwood is pretty) I would have to say that Carrie is the winner.  ha.  Talk to you in two days!  Love you!

Andee - How do you do it?  I wish i had to ability to fall asleep anywhere like you do.  I hope you enjoy your Christmas in Norcross - though I´m sure it's not what you were expecting.  Was your stuffed baked potato the size of a small infant?  Because Roy bought one once that was larger than a football.  I eat mostly black beans.  I could probably count on one hand the number of times I´ve had other types of beans.  after 6 years Roy finally noticed haha. what a goober. :)  See you Wednesday?

Roy - If you bowl a 200 tonight I will pay your first year of tuition in grad school ha.  I´m predicting a solid 76, with 4 gutterballs. 

Well my weeks are exciting, and my emails are boring.  Sorry about that.  My mind always goes blank when I sit down here in the cyber.  I love you all! 

Elder Roth

No comments:

Post a Comment